Update your browser
ir al contenido

Rochester Hotel - m



Obelisk. Square of the Republic - Av. 9 de Julio and Av. Corrientes, San Nicolás.
Work of the architect Alberto Presbisch. It opened in 1936, for the fourth centenary of the first foundation of Buenos Aires. In the square there are flower patches and the shields of the Argentinean provinces.

Monumental Tower. Av. del Libertador y Av. Ramos Mejía, Retiro.
The monumental Tower, also known as the Englishmen Tower, its old name, inaugurated in 1916 in the neighborhood of Retiro. With its reopening in 2001, the city appropriate the new cultural space. There it operates the Information Center of Museums in Buenos Aires City.

Monumento a Julio Argentino Roca. Diagonal Sur y Perú.
Inaugurated in 1941, In its base, covered with marble, two great figures stand out, which represented patriotism and work. Crowning th monument there is a bronze sculpture, work of José Zorrilla de San Martin. Julio Argentino Roca -1843-1914- was part of the battles in Cepeda, Pavon and in the war of Paraguay. He was war minister of Avellaneda, and from that position he encouraged and lead the Dessert Campaign. Two times president of the Republic (1880-1886 and 1898.1904).

Monument to the Spanish. Avenue Sarmiento and Avenue del Libertador
Its real name was “The Carta Magna and the Four Argetine Regions”, but its popular name corresponds  to the year 1910 -centenary of the May Revolution- when the Spanish community donated the monument to the city. The work suffered several inconvenients: its author died a year after fishing the sketches and the same happened to his successor, Cipriano Flojeras. That is why, although in 1910 the main stone was laid, the gift was not ready for the centenary celebrations. The completion of the monument was delayed even more because of ther shipwreck in 1916 of the Autrias Prince, Spanish ship sank in front of Ilha Bela, brazilian coast and the bronzes that were originally going to be part of the monument stayed there. A year later replicas were ordered from Spain and were finished in 1918. Finally, on May 25, 1927 it was inaugurated. 

Monument to Carlos Gardel. Chacarita Cemetery (Guzmán 670)
The Chacarita Cemetery was cerated in 1871, when Buenos Aires was dealing with an epidemic of Yellow Fever. In June 24, 1935, Carlos Gardel dies tragically in a plane crash at the airport of Medellin. Time after a monument was erected in his honor, today it is a place of pilgrimage. Many, following tradition, put a lit cigarette on his right hand and a bouquet of carnations on the left.

Monument to National Ballet. Plaza Lavalle, over the street Libertad, between Lavalle and Tucumán.  
Inaugurated in 1972, work of the sculptor Carlos de la Cárcova and the architect Ezequiel F. Cerrato. Tribute to the ballet dancers of the Colon Theatre that a year before had died in a plane accident in the Rio de la Plata. The main figure represents the dancers Norma Fontenla and José Neglia. 

Monument to Lavalle. Plaza Lavalle, in front of the Court Palace and a few meters from the Colon Theatre.  
Juan Galo Lavalle was a politician and militar in the battles for the independence. Direct descendant of the conqueror of Mexico, Hernán Cortés. Lavalle was born in Buenos Aires in 1797 and died, fighting against the governor Juan Manuel Rosas, in 1841.
His monument was inaugurated publicly in 1887. Work of Uruguayan Pietro Costa and it is on a column of 18 meters high. 

Monument "Song for the Work". Av. Paseo Colón 800
Work of an Argentine sculptor, Rogelio de Yrurtia (1879-1950). It is a group of sculptures of 14 human figures. 

Yaguareté del Parque Chacabuco. Asamblea and Emilio Mitre. Parque Chacabuco.
It was sculpted in 1935 by the artist Emilio Sarniguest and in 1977 it was transferred. Then recovered in the early twenty-first century and placed back into the park.

Monument Los Andes. Plaza Los Andes, Av. Corrientes, Av. Jorge Newbery, Guzmán y Av. Dorrego,  Chacarita.
Inside the park you find the monument to Los Andes by the sculptor Luis Perlotti, made in bronze. Represents the Calchaquí, Tehuelche and Ona towns and communities.

Monumento a Caperucita Roja. Av. Sarmiento y Av. del Libertador,  Palermo
Work of the French sculptor Jean Carlus. Acquired in 1937.

Monument Fountain to Mr. Pedro de Mendoza. Lezama Park -Brasil and Defensa, San Telmo
Inaugurated in June 23, 1937, made by Juan Xarlos Oliva Navarro. The monument is composed by a square fountain with two spillways that symbolize the Guadalquivir river and the Rio de la Plata, where the expedition had its start and end. The statue of Don Pedro de Mendoza is of bronze and contrasts with a wall of marble with bas-reliefs representing a native figure. Pedro de Mendoza appears sticking his sword in the floor as symbol of taking possession of the lands. 

Evita Square. Monument. Av. del Libertador y Agüero, Recoleta. 
The country house of the Unzué family was transformed in 1937 into a summer presidential residence, in which Evita and Perón lived between 1945 and 1952. Perón continued living there until he was overthrown in 1955. The monument was inaugurated in December 6, 1999, work of the Argentine sculptor Ricardo Gianetti, made in bronze over a base of masonry covered with granite. In the base of the sculpture, you can read, starting from the front: “To Maria Eva Duarte de Perón”, on the right lateral “Legacy of light, flagpole and flag” and on the left lateral: “Anthem of honor and exaltation”. The floor was designed in a Latin cross shape and in its perimeter you can read: “She knew how to dignify women, give protection to the children and the old, renouncing to her honors”. “She wanted to be just Evita for ever, eternal in the people´s soul, improving the human conditions of the humbles and workers, fighting for social justice”.

Monumento al Gral. C. M. Alvear
The monument to the General Carlos Maria de Alvear is the work of the sculptor Antonio Emilio Bourdelle, who was disciple and collaborator of the French Auguste Rodin. Bourdelle took almost ten years to build it. The General Carlos Maria de Alvear was collaborator of San Martin, president of the Assembly of the year XIII and Supreme Director of the United Provinces of the Rio de la Plata in 1815. 

Floralis Genérica. Square of the United Nations, Av. Figueroa Alcorta and Austria.
Designed in aluminum and steel by the prestigious Argentine architect Eduardo Catalano, was donated in April 2002 to the Government of the City. According to its mentor, the name was adopted because it is law of the flora to name the species in Latin. Floralis means that it belongs to the flora, and in consequences to flowers. Generic comes from the concept of genus and indicates that it represents all the flowers. In terms of its symbolic message, Catalano, said once that the flower “is a synthesis of all flowers and at the same time a hope that reborns each day when it opens”. The console has a clock that regulates, in an automatic way, the opening and closure: the flower opens every morning at 8 (“if it would open at dawn it would find the town asleep”) and closes at sunset, at a time that changes according to the seasons.
There are four special nights in which it remains open (September 21, May 25 and December 24 and 31).

Fountain of the Nereidas. South Coastal.
Work of the sculptor from Tucuman, Lola Mora (1877-1936). The monument, inaugurated in 1903 by a donation of its author, received critiques of the Buenos Aires society of that time, because it was not conceived that a woman made a work with so many naked. However, it was valued later on for what it meant, finally settling in 1918 near the old breakwater  in Dr. Tristan Achaval Rodriguez Av. It is a monumental sculpture in Carrara marble, where the goddess Venus appears emerging from the sea accompanied by a retinue of nereids and newts that hold her. The goddess Venus represented for the romans love and beauty, as she was treated as the Aphrodite of the Greeks who emerged form the sea. It was declared National Historic Monument.

May Pyramid. Plaza de Mayo.
It is the first patriotic monument and was built by the architect Cañete, inaugurated in May 25, 1811, a year after the freedom of the Country.
In 1856, the painter and architect, Prilidiano Pueyrredón made a project to transform the Pyramid, but the original was left in the inside, putting the Statue of Liberty on the superior part, which used to be in the Colón Theatre.

Monumento to the two Congresses. Square of the two Congresses; behind Av. Entre Ríos and besides Rivadavia street.
It was rose in commemoration of the Assembly of the year XIII and to the Congress of Tucuman of 1816. It is crowned with a women figure that represents the republic. In an attitude of moving forward, she holds in her right hand a laurel branch, symbol of victory, the work is lean on a plow guide symbol of work. Between its composition, from a group of sculptural plants we find a half-naked young boy, surrounded by aquatic allegories, he salutes with his right hand the rising sun while with the left he holds a paddle. To his sides two male figures pour water from their pitchers symbolizing the to great tributaries to the Rio de la Plata: the Parana and the Uruguay. Horses, condors and other animal species and various groups of dancing cupids exhort the surroundings of the monument and the pond. The author of the monument. Jules Lagae, was born in Roules on March 15, 1862 and made this work with the help of the architect Dhuicque, the same deserved an award in Rome.

Go Up
  • Wi-fi 10MB

Rochester M Buenos Aires | Visit Buenos Aires, the city, monuments | Book online

Visit also:
Secure Site.
Copyright Rivotel S.A.