- The city
It is one of the main auditoriums of the International Lyric Circuit.
It was opened in 1857. The original headquarter was in Plaza de Mayo, in 1888 it was decided to build a new one in its current location. The constructions started a year later and ended in 1908. Directed bye Tamburini and Meano, who both died during the work, and finished by the Belgian architect Dormal. The first opera to be represented was “Aída”.
The main auditorium, in a horseshoe shape, is considered one with the best acoustics in the world. The dome is decorated by the painter Raul Soldi.
The theatre has a steady cast, a group of dancers, orchestras, workshops of scenography and wardrobe, a library and a museum.
It is one of the main auditoriums in National Theatre. It was opened in 1921. Its first owners were the Spanish actress Maria Guerrero and her husband. The married couple, very famous at that time, invested their fortune in the theatre. Three years later, Guerrero was forced to sell it, as she was bankrupted and since then the theatre depends on the National Government.
Many of the luxurious elements that decorate the inside of the Cervantes -such as tiles, stained-glass windows, handcrafted smithy, seats, curtains, tapestry- were made in Spain.
- Florida 1065, Retiro
Emblem of rationalism, it was the first skyscraper in the city and the highest in South America when it was inaugurated in 1936. It was designed by the studio of the architects Sánchez, Lagos and de la Torre. It is a National Historic Monument.
Municipal Planetary of the Buenos Aires City “Galileo Galilei”
It was developed by the architect Enrique Jan, in charge of the General Direction of Architecture and Town planning between the years 1964 and 1968.
It is a place with free or at very low cost educational activities, on different days and times it is possible to see the planetary operating and showing the sky-blue bodies with explanations, it also organizes visualizations of eclipses and projections to the sun. In its garden surroundings, families and young people come to enjoy the free air and sun during the weekend.
Av. Córdoba, Riobamba, Viamonte y Ayacucho
One of the most beautiful buildings in the city, designed by the Swedish Carlos Nystömeyer and the Norwegian Olaf Boye, and the building company was the English Bateman-Parsons and Bateman. The building was started in 1887 and its construction was due to the need of a healthiness system for the city, which in that time suffered from great epidemics. It was considered as a tank collector of running water, covered by a polychrome ceramic Palace. Its style is from the Second Empire, in shades of ochers and greenish sky blue. The polychrome and Terra-cotta tiles, made in England, came to the country in boxes, they were organized by number which made the construction easier. Around 170 thousand tiles and 130 thousand glazed bricks were used. In order to represent the national view, shields of the 14 provinces were hang up together with the shield of the Capital, which made up the Argentine Republic of that time. It was finished in 1894 and since 1987 it is a National Historic Monument.
The area was formed, as in many other cities, from a historical and religious landmark made up by the Pilar Church and the Convent of the Recoleta Monks, reason why the neighborhood has that name. This urban area has many characteristics, being the main character the squares that made it up, surrounded by buildings with different features. The Cemetery,the Church and the current Cultural Center, very peculiar, form an harmonious combination, rich in history and events. Facing them there are several shops which provide music, gastronomy and walks, and attract tourists and local people, inviting them to relax and enjoy.