- The city
It is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city, where the richest families lived until the epidemic of yellow fever in 1871, which forced them to move north. With time, its physiognomy kept changing, until it became an obliged tour, where valuable architecture works of old times can be appreciated.
1. Secretariat of agriculture, stock breeding and fishing, Av. Paseo Colón 922
The group of buildings is work of the Andrés Vanelli and Sons and Kimbau and Co Studies. Buildings have a neo-gothic style, located in an avenue and had all the monumentality required for public works of the end of the nineteenth century and beginning of the twentieth century.
2. Engineering University, Av. Paseo Colón 850
A neo-classical building that copies the Law University. It is the result of the architectonic conception of the mid-twentieth century. Here the ex-foundation Maria Eva Duarte de Peron operated.
3. Monument "Song to Work". Av. Paseo Colón 800
Work of the Argentine sculptor Rogelio de Yrurtia (1879-1950). It is about a sculptural group of 14 human figures in bronze.
4. San Lorenzo Passage, Estados Unidos and Balcarce
In this two street passage, it is possible to visit the gallery of “The Patios of San Telmo”, a typical house of the eighteenth century, where workshops of artists and craftsmen are found.
5. The Minimun House, San Lorenzo 380
The house is only 2,2 meters wide. It is what was left from a construction from the second decade of the nineteenth century. In the past it was common that this type of additions to the houses be occupied by slaves of the family.
6. Bar Sur, Estados Unidos and Balcarce
Started operating in 1967 and was pioneer in the night show in Buenos Aires.
7. Danish Church, Carlos Calvo 257
The tower and roofs follow a neo-gothic line. It was built with the plans of the danish architects Rönnow and Bisgaard. Opened in 1931.
8. House of Juan Carlos Castagnino, Balcarce 1016
This house, together with its neighbor of the corner, are from the late eighteenth century, Here the artists Juan Carlos Castagnino (1908-1972) lived, he was a renowned painter and stand out in illustration of the edition of 1963 of the “Martin Fierro”.
9. Old Hotel Gallery, Balcarce 1053
Built around the 1890 as hotel, when the neighborhood was declared historic area in 1979, it became an art gallery and workshop of artists and sculptors.
10. Old Tavern of the “Cuchilleros”, Carlos Calvo 319
The room of the front is from the eighteenth century. The rest of teh building is of the subsequent century. It keeps a tragic love history. Here Margarita live, daughter of sergeant Oliden, mazorquero of the governor Juan Manuel de Rosas. The father pretended his daughter to marry Ciriaco Cuitiño, head of the mazorqueros. But she escaped with the singer of whom she was in love, until they were found by Cuitiño in Lujan. He shot Margarita, who returned home to die. Nowadays a restaurant operates.
11. House of Esteban de Luca, Defensa and Carlos Calvo
The house is of the late eighteenth century. Here Esteban de Luca lived, militar, poet and jounalist. He participated actively during the English invasions (1806-1807), as second lieutenant of the third battalion of the Patricios. The house was recycled keeping the architectonic elements of that time. Nowadays a restaurant operates. It is a National Historic Monument.
12. Market of San Telmo, Bolívar, Carlos Calvo, Defensa, Estados Unidos.
The house has an Italian style and inside it has an excellent iron structure and roofs of sheet and glass. It was opened in 1897 and it architect was Juan Antonio Buschiazzo.
13. Gallery Solar de French, Defensa between Humberto 1º and Carlos Calvo.
Here the patriot Doming French lived. The front part is from the years 1900 and 1910, the rest is from the 1930 decade.
14. Dorrego Square, between Humberto Iº, Defensa, Anselmo Aieta and Bethlem.
Declared National Historic area. It is the oldest square after Plaza de Mayo. On Sundays from 10 to 17 a huge antique fair operates.
15. Argentine Penitentiary Museum "Antonio Ballvé", Humberto 1º 378
The building is from the 1760 and the plans were made by the architect Antonio Masella. Origianlly, it was a House for Spiritual Excercises for men. When the Jesuits were expelled in 1767, the place was left in charge of the Cabildo. Later and until 1974 it operated as the Women Prision, in charge of the orders of the Good Shepherd and the Penitentiary service. When this order was removed in 1974 it was left in charge of the Penitentiary service until 1978, year in which the Women Prison was moved to Ezeiza. Inside we find Our Lady Carmen Chapel, built in 1734.
16. Church Our Lady Belén – Parish Church San Pedro Telmo, Humberto 1º 340
The building of the church started in 1734 with the project of the Jesuit architect Andrés Blanqui and help of Juan Bautista Prímoli and José Schmidt, continuing the work the italian master Antonio Masella, the last alteration was in 1918 by the architect Pelayo Sáinz. The House has an eclectic style with neo-classical elements. In the superior part of the Church there is an image of San Pedro González Telmo. It is a National Historic Monument.
17. Protomedicato - Guillermo Rawson School, Humberto 1º 343
It was the first Medicine school in Buenos Aires in 1858. Since 1866 it was left in charge of the Education Secretariat. Its architecture has neo-classical elements. The magnolias that are at the entrance are of that time.
18. La Defensa Passage, Defensa 1179
A traditional house of the 1880 decade that was residence of the Ezeiza family. It has two floors, with several rooms that face a lateral gallery. Nowadays it operates as a commercial gallery with antique shops, clothes of other times, pictures, souvenirs, etc.
19. Museum of Modern Art of the City Governement, Av. San Juan 350
In the past, it was a deposit of the industry of cigarettes “43”. The building is from the 1918 and was recycled keeping its original architecture. The museum usually presents exhibitions of contemporary plastic artists, but it is closed now due to refurbishing.
20. Cinema Museum, Defensa 1220
The museum opens on Tuesdays to Fridays from 10 to 17. It has a film library and collections of posters, clothes, photos and documents.
21. Ex Foundation San Telmo, Defensa 1344
The house was built around the 1860 and was refurbished by Osvaldo Giesso in the decade of 1980. Nowadays an art gallery and a school of theatre operate there. The facade is a copy of a house of the eighteenth century which plans are in the General File of the Nation.
22. Orthodox Russian Church of the Holy Trinity, Brasil 315
Opened in 1904, built by the architect Alejandro Christophersen according to the original project of the architect of the Holy Synod of Russia Mihail Preobrazensky. Its muscovite style of the seventeenth century. In the front, in Venecian mosaic, there is a representation of the Holy Trinity in San Petersburg.
23. Lezama Park – Fountain Monument to Mr. Pedro de Mendoza, Brasil and Defensa
Inaugurated in June 23, 1937, made by the sculptor Juan Carlos Oliva Navarro. The monument is composed by a square fountain with two outlets symbolizing the Guadalquivir river and the Rio de la Plata, where the expedition was started and ended. The statue of Mr. Pedro de Mendoza is in bronze and contrasts with the wall covered in marble with bas-relief representing a native image. Pedro de Mendoza appears with his sword stick in the floor as symbol of the possesion of lands
24. Lezama Park - Patio of Sculptures and Amphitheater. Defensa, Brasil, Av. Paseo Colón and Av. Martín García.
Located on a natural gully.
After many owners, in the year 1857, the merchant from Salta José Gregorio Lezama bought the property, surrounded it with a high fence of iron railing and enriched the environment with plants and exotic trees. In 1871, during the yellow fever epidemic the residence operated as a pesthouse. In 1889, with the death of Lezama his widow Angela Alzaga sold the property to the municipality under the condition of turning it into a public park named after her husband, Lezama Park.
25. National Historic Museum. Defensa 1600
Founded in 1889. Located in which used to be the house of Gregorio de Lezama in 1897. Its lines and structure respond to an Italian architecture, current between 1850 and 1880. The heritage stands out the traditions of the May Revolution and the Independence Wars and other transcendental periods of the national history of the nineteenth century.